Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving!

Once again I spent Thanksgiving here in Cork with a huge group of international students, and once again, it was awesome! It's getting a bit late here and I have to catch a bus at 7 am tomorrow, so this will be a short post, but I wanted to make sure to get the pictures up!


Sarah with her cute matching hat and scarf :)

Food! All 3 pies are pumpkin (made from real pumpkins, not canned) and then some yummy fresh fruit and then stuffing in the background.

More food that has yet to get a spot in the kitchen. Can you guess which bag of food on this table came from me?

Starting to fill up! We've got the pies, fruit, stuffing, cranberry sauce, Spanish omelet, carrot cake, and the square one is my green bean casserole :)

More food on the stove. The big pot is kind of mashed potatoes...but with a load of other stuff in it...like broccoli...and red bell peppers...sounds weird, but actually kind of good.

And look, more food! We've got the turkey, rolls, and on the plate is a "traditional Bavarian dish" that no one could explain in English. It was delicious, but I have no idea what I was eating.

And more food! This is a chocolate cake with wild berry filling and all of those cute decorations are made of marzipan and there is a layer of marzipan underneath the frosting. And one of the girls made all of it herself! SO GOOD.

Sadly, I didn't get picture of all of the food. From what I can recall there was also a cheesy rice veggie dish, sweet potatoes with marshmallow topping, Austrian stewed red cabbage, salad, mashed potatoes, 3 types of bread, mint chocolate chip ice cream, and cupcakes. I feel like I'm forgetting things, but you get the idea.

Eagerly awaiting dinner.

So much excitement!

Finally, dinner! On this plate (this was round 1 of dinner): mashed potatoes w/ veg, green bean casserole, roll, Spanish omelet, stuffing, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, turkey (dark meat, yes!), and the Bavarian surprise :P

And round 1 of dessert! Pumpkin pie and carrot cake!

Relaxing a bit after the dinner marathon. Left to right: Keely, me, Brooke.

Had to get a picture with our lovely hostess, Emilyy.

The only Irish person in attendance, GearĂ³id!

Me and Keely.

Melanie and I.

Me, Liz, Sarah.

People were still picking at the food. As we explained to all of the international students, Thanksgiving is all about eating until you're stuffed, and then going back for more!

Dessert round 2! This is actually in my fridge right now because I think that if I had tried to eat it, I would have been sick. But now I have something to look forward to tomorrow night!

The lovely baker cutting the cake :)


So that's just a bit of the Thanksgiving festivities over here. We definitely had a great time and all of the international students seemed to enjoy the holiday. I must say that before actually going to the party I wasn't really looking forward to it (I had been in the lab for 8 hours and had to take a test, then had to rush home to shower and make the casserole before moving the whole production over to Emilyy's house), but I am so happy that I got to spend such a great evening with so many awesome people!

3 comments:

marbea said...

OH MY that cake. That is one of the prettiest cakes ever and marzipan too! I could make a meal of that.
But what a nice feast! Our meal was extremely mellow. So glad that you had such a good time.
Love you

Blueryder said...

Yummmm!

life in red shoes said...

So glad you are surrounded by good friends while you are away from home. And the food! You have really expanded your horizons :)

P.S. Save me a piece of that cake, I love marzipan.